Friday, May 14, 2010

Back in Boise

I am back in Boise for the weekend. I haven't been here for almost two years. I really enjoyed the drive down. The mountains are all still covered in snow up high, and the foothills are turning green, with mixed wildflowers starting to bloom. Purple is the dominant color, followed by yellow. The sage is in its brightest stage of the self titled color also, and quite fragrant. I look back on all those long drives across southern Idaho and Montana in awe. The scenery hasn't changed much and it overwhelms me with its nostalgic power. Through the cracked and bug spotted wind shield I can easily see that the only thing that has really changed is me.
On my drive I had much to think about: My family from my Mom down to my nieces and nephews, my upcoming chance to sell some trips, my last outing with the seven veterans on the Smith, but mostly my wife. My thoughts are almost entirely consumed by her. I smile genuinely knowing how lucky I am.
I passed many familiar places on the way in, places and events I hadn't thought about in years, and for a moment all the moments come back in a glimpse. Then they are gone. My gopher hunting spot where I spent many days with my buddies walking through the high desert, enjoying the uniqueness of the desert and the company of my pals. Roads I had driven, places I had pulled over to piss, even places I decided to spend the night.
My excitement rose as I rolled into Boise, looking over the rim into the city that sprawled out along the river. I looked at the capitol, the university, and downtown, quickly pondering all the places that have changed. I silently hope that everything hasn't changed. Sometimes it's nice to come back to a familiar town, especially one that cradled me through my college years. Those years are full of ups and downs in all aspects of life, even when your responsibilities are fractional to the life you live afterward. Bright green grass, yellow and pink tulips, and fully leaved trees beautifully anounce springs arrival. It almost feels like home, even though I know it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment