Thursday, May 19, 2011

getting humbled

Today I guided my first day of the season on the Missouri. I got my butt kicked to say the least. The water is really high and the fishing wasn't that good, on top of that it was windy. Thankfully, I had a client who was kind, patient, and fun to spend the day with. The river is almost 15,000 cubic feet per second, almost twice its normal flows.
I felt like finding a tall drink to crawl into and lick my wounds, but instead I took the high road and am trying to think positive about the next couple of days. We boated a few fish, but all in all it was a subpar performance on my part. I won't make (too many) excuses, but I wasn't able to do my job like I expect myself to do.
Sometimes we need to be humbled to keep us working hard, or at least that is what I tell myself. It was good to get back on the water, and it was nice to see some friends I haven't seen in a while.
Tomorrow is a new day. Hopefully I won't be eating another turd sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment