Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Branded and turned loose!

 Last weekend we branded, marking our official end to calving season! We had good weather, good help, and good food. I can hardly believe how fast the spring has been moving along. It seems not too long ago I was checking cows all night long with a flashlight and a heavy coat. Sunday after we branded we turned the cows out onto pasture. No more feeding!

   Lena wrestled a few more calves than last year, and took some pretty good pictures. I used my new colt to drag some calves out. All in all he is coming a long nicely. He is a big strong horse and seems to enjoy working. I am nearly done going over fence in the foot hills, and soon we will be fencing in the mountains, getting ready to drive the cows to summer pasture. Right now we are trying to prepare the hay fields for irrigation.

   Lena and I may be building a house this summer. I am not sure quite how to feel about it. The prospect is somewhat exciting, but the idea of more debt terrifies the hell out of me. I also interviewed for the head coaching job at Capital High School. I don't know yet what to think. All I have ever wanted to do since I can remember is be a cowboy. The thought of giving that up wrenches on my guts, and makes me loose sleep. I guess what happens will happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment