Thursday, October 21, 2010

Love of Eating wild.

I used to say that if you don't like wild game then something is wrong with you. I have since amended that statement. If you don't like wild game, then you haven't had it the right way. Usually the culprit is the way the meat is taken care of in the feild and in the kitchen. The best way to ruin wild game is over cooking it. Actually, overcooking anything will make it worse. There is absolutely no reason to turn wild game into jerky, if your goal was to eat a steak. Medium well is probably too "done" for wild meat, and will produce the "gamey" taste. I believe that 98% of the reason people don't like wild game is either because they had it bad once, or they have a mental block. They tell themselves they don't like it, like a kid does with vegetables.
I am thankful that my wife likes wild game, because it makes up the vast majority of our diet. If you have something you don't think will taste good, like an old rutted up buck, there are plenty of recipes for eating it. Make bratwurst, jerky, summer sausage, etc. If in doubt add pork, anything wrapped in Bacon will taste good. I will always say, if you don't like pork there is something wrong with you.
I just made pepperoni out of antelope. I can't wait to make a pizza for someone who "hates wild game".

3 comments:

  1. Bacon makes my life lots better all the time. I also think it makes everything taste better, wild or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I say I hate wild game will you make me a pizza? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. i mostly agree, but elk is better than deer.

    ReplyDelete