Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Beauty of Easter



I have to say that even when I was a little kid, Easter was my most favorite of holidays. I had no real concrete understanding of the Resurrection, but somehow I knew it was important because it was the only day my dad would ever go to church. That is not why it was my favorite Holiday. In the northern Rockies it is usually just about the right time for spring to finally show up. Lets also not forget I have a vicious sweet tooth.



I loved being able to go outside and run around on the Easter egg hunt with my family during what was usually the first nice day of spring. I loved the wonderful Easter baskets my mom would make for us and hide around the house. We would tear into them like Christmas morning and I would go right for the bunny.



After we grew out of the egg hunt, I continued to stay outside. Most years we would be fishing down at the creek, and would have to race home in time for dinner. As I got older it turned into hunting for turkeys or Morel mushrooms with my dad, an Easter egg hunt for grown ups. However, I was never late for Easter dinner. My mom always made ham, one other great reason to be a christian. I love the pig, especially my mother's ham dinner.



Over the years I have come to love other things about Easter, and I have a more solid understanding of Jesus and what he did for us. I still love going outside and enjoying the weather. Seeing the first green grass shoot from the dead brown cover of winter, a Resurrection of its own.



Yesterday I gathered with friends and branded calves in the bright, and finally warm sun. Smiles and laughter flooded the area. Today I will celebrate the Resurrection with my wife, one of my very best friends, and some family. The sun is shining and new life is returning to the Rockies. I no longer crave the candy as much as I used to, but I love Easter all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment