Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sunrise

Here I go again. Rubber side down on my way out of this big sprawling urban mess, moving on yet again.
I look in the rear view at the stranger with red eyes and stubbled jaw. I barely recognize myself after the weekend events. I smile back at the reflection and wink.
The yellow stripes fly by with the beat of the music. I tap my fingers on the top of my steering wheel and drink my coffee.
Glimpses of the last night with her flash through my mind. I push my hat brim back on my forehead as I look again to see my broad face in the mirror. I have to laugh a little and smile a demon smile. I can't remember the last time I felt that high.
The calm darkness is interrupted with threads of sunlight that stab from the east with a steady forcefulness that never needs to ask for permission. A dim creeping light approaches the sprawling valley and all those who still sleep.
I think back to her again, laughing and smiling at me. I can hardly wait for the next time around.
A few long days on the fence line will see me back to her with some more money to burn. More memories to pull from the flames.
The tip of the sun greets me without words, the pink mountains meet me with a cool morning breeze. Five days and I'll be headed back, wild as the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment