Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bird Watching

I used to sit at the kitchen table with my grandparents and watch birds. I never fully appreciated the simple looking Robbins, or the finches, even the flickers. My favorite were always the blue birds that showed up with the really warm weather. Along with western tanningers, they still may be my favorite. However, I have a new found appreciation for the other more simple looking song birds that leave the north for the winter.
Now days I find my spirit lifted to see so many birds returning to the once barren north. For the last few long months, the only birds that have known the cold are the magpies and the ravens, and a few small chickadees that tough it out.
Every day I see more and more Robbins along with all sorts of waterfowl returning to the northern regions. I actually smiled when I saw sandhill cranes awkwardly cruising the hay fields for a bite to eat.
These birds tell me to rejoice that the winter is over, finally. There will be storms, but they will pass and soon enough the tanningers and the bluebirds of the summer will be here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment