Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hay runs (part 3)


I looked back at my string as we headed out of the quiet camp, the only evidence of people was the white canvas wall tent and the corral. My hay stack had grown considerably with each trip in, now up to almost eighty bales. We would need a few more to feed through the early riffle season. The mules had settled into a good pace, nose to tail, long ears flopping with each step. All the pack rings on the saddles lined up with their broached manes, each had their nose bag on, everything looked good. Onward and upward. I started to relax as I turned to look ahead at the small foot bridge that crossed the creek on the western edge of camp. I slowed Sheriff down as his hoof's clanked on the newly rebuilt bridge. After I watched each mule cross the bridge without trouble I looked ahead and asked Sheriff to pick up the pace. He knew the trail well, perhaps better than any one animal in the string. I could sit back and relax as he led the way home.

I get a great feeling when I'm finally on the trail, all the stress and anxiety melt away. My thoughts instantly leave the process of work and begin to wander. She is always the first thing that comes to mind. I looked up at the sun's place in the sky, 8:03. She would be at work by now. I had never seen her office, so I just tried to imagine her in a similar place. I wondered what she was wearing, and always pictured her smiling. I started to think about how far we had come since we first met, and how much my image of her had changed. It seemed like we had known each other a lot longer than just a year. I never would have known she would have me feeling this way about life, and about my future. I started to question my own goals, and the things I thought I had wanted for myself. I was thinking it was time to make a big decision, the kind that really changes your life.

I quickly glanced back at the string and checked the saddles, pads, nose bags, and loads. Everything looked great so I urged Sheriff on a little more. The sun was starting to really pick up the intensity, and its powerful rays were piercing the forest canopy with ease. The birds were noisy and the bugs were coming out. This year was especially bad for bees, and biting flies. They had played hell on us a couple of trips in, causing the mules to break away and a load or two to shift. I stopped the string at Basin Creek and gave them all a little time to drink up for the ride. It was crystal clear, and even up on top of Sheriff I could smell how clean and cold the water was. It had warmed up enough to take off my scarf, so I removed it and put it in my vest pocket. We crossed Basin Creek and emerged from the heavy timber into a wide open plain, known as the "air strip". I looked back to check everything as the whole string picked up the pace across the wide open. We were headed for the pass.

I looked around for animals, and saw none. The sky was completely clear blue, and the green towering tree covered mountains boldly contrasted its emptiness. I started to get a little nervous now as I thought about this upcoming week. I had made up my mind over these last couple months, and I couldn't wait any longer. I knew. In fact, I had known for a while. I was completely in love with Lena, and I wanted to ask her to marry me. Chills ran through me, and I swear Sheriff picked up on it because he cocked his left ear back at me. I sat there up high in the saddle, but felt kinda like I was floating across the trail. The open meadow came to a close as we entered the dark timber of the west side of the divide. I held Sheriff up and tucked Sarah's lead back into the ring. I dismounted and tied Sheriff to a small tree along the trail. I trusted him but not that much, only a fool would risk such a long walk home. I quickly relieved myself, then removed the timber rails that blocked the trail. A last ditch effort to keep the stock from leaving the valley when we turned them loose. I untied Sheriff and swung back into my seat, glancing back as the string advanced down the trail. In one and a half hours we would be at the top of the pass. I opened my snuff can and took a small pinch then put it back in my pocket. The trail ahead had no tracks on it that weren't from my trip in the day before. I scanned it ahead until it disappeared into the thick canopy of brush and timber. Once again my thoughts returned to Lena. I began to sing "Night Rider's Lament" to my string as we made our way home.

1 comment:

  1. more please. this is great stuff casey. i feel like i'm reading a book - a cowboy love story book. being a girl i want to hear more about the love than the cowboy part but either way keep writing.

    ReplyDelete