Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What limits us?

The other day on the way home from church Lena was making faces at me and she rolled her tongue. Then she asked me if I could do that?... No, I can't. She started laughing at me and said excitedly, " Ha! I can do something you can't!" Normally, my competitive nature would have me practicing secretly until I could master this task. Standing in front of the mirror each morning concentrating until I could match roll my tongue. However, no matter how much I practiced and dedicated myself to the task, I know I can never accomplish it. I have to concede to defeat, which is not easy for me. Especially when it involves my wife. I have been limited by nature. I have a genetic trait that doesn't allow me to roll my tongue. I will never be able to do it. It got me thinking about what our limits are. I was raised with the mind set that you can accomplish anything if you devote your whole self to the goal. My oldest brother dedicated himself to becoming a professional athlete, after years of hard work and sacrifice he accomplished the feat. It took tremendous dedication and much sacrifice. He also was fortunate to have a great support system from his family, and others in the community. Bottom line, he never let doubt plague him to the point he gave up. I always wanted to be a great wrestler. Thank God I was given some talent and good genes, but that is not what made me successful. I was willing to work very hard for what I wanted. Talent only gets us so far, work ethic makes us successful. I believe if we want something bad enough we can make our own fate. Their are few things in life that can really limit us if we are relentless. Most people let a lot of things limit them, especially Economic background. America has more rags to riches stories than anywhere else. That's one great thing about our country; besides if it is really such a deterrent why are so many flooding our borders? J.R. Simplot was relentless in pursuit of success. He started as a poor farmer without even a high school diploma. He became a billionaire. It was not luck that got him there. People are not successful because they are lucky. Our success reflects our determination and our dedication, and our limits are really only a test of what we are willing to be satisfied with. I think if I really wanted to roll my tongue, I could find a way.

1 comment:

  1. I cant do this either and the whole family can. I have practiced in the mirror for hours, No joke! Still cant but I get your point!haha

    ReplyDelete