Monday, January 4, 2010

Winter Mornings

I find it difficult to get out of bed in the winter. I don't know if it is because of the lack of sunlight, or the lack of motivation. I don't have much to do these days, which may have something to do with my laziness. I lay in bed when my wife gets up, (rarely does she ever get up before me), half asleep and feeling dull. I don't like to sit idle, unless it is back home on my parents couch, and even that has its limits. A summer sunrise and a winter sunrise are very different, but I enjoy them both, especially in the high-country. The biggest difference is the solitude of the winter. The song birds are gone along with the insects and the quiet of a winter morning can be felt. The only noises heard are the occasional cracks and groans of the trees, small gusts of wind moving up the frozen draws rustling what few leaves remain on the aspens. Crows and Magpies cruise the sky, looking for things that used to make noise. I can find little happiness in these creatures. The pink hue of first light on the snow fields is what brings a feeling of life to the darkest months of winter. Like an old solitary bull, we all patiently wait for the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment