Thursday, March 11, 2010

Boats



Ever since I was very young I have had a profound enfatuation with boats, and the water. There is something about gliding across the water that puts me in a very special place. When I was a kid, I remember Mom and Dad letting my brothers and I sit up on the bow of the "Slug" (pictured). I loved the feeling as we rushed across the water, holding on to the horns that adorned the bow as it sliced through the emerald green water in front of us.
My brothers and I also grew up in a small row boat terrorizing Mockins bay, until it went missing one winter. Then for a while it was the giant red canoe, which also had it's moments. Looking back, I must attribute both of these boats to my ability to handle a drift boat well.
I loved to move across the water in the canoe, or the row boat. My brothers and I would always see how fast we could go, digging the blades of the paddles and pushing the water. However, it was never quite as thrilling as a humming engine pushing up on plane across the water.
One of my most favorite moments growing up was when my parents trusted me enough, at a very young age, to drive the boat by myself. I was so full of pride I almost burst. Knowing that someone trusts you enough to handle responsibility is a great and honorable privilage.
I would spend much of the money I made on gas for the boat, cruising around on Hayden Lake during the short summers. It was truly my favorite thing to do, especially when no one was on the water. I row a boat down rivers for a living now, but lakes will always be my favorite. They both bring happiness to me, but I still love the thrill of a powerfull motor and a smooth glass hull sliding across the open water.
I am patiently awaiting the spring, so I can get my boat back out on the water.

1 comment:

  1. Lilah looks so much like her daddy! I can really see it in this picture! Your cute cheesy smile cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete