Friday, March 12, 2010

Never would have guessed




I never would have guessed my nephew Parker would ever want to wrestle. I was wrong. He wrestled in a tournament Thursday night and took first place. I am so happy for him, and proud of him. Wrestling is the sport that gave me everything, so it means a lot to me. I never thought PK would be interested, let alone like it. I am blown away. I am happy for him, because one on one victory gives a person confidence not easily rivaled in other arenas. I think every young boy could use that, in heavy doses. I think back to being his age, which is about when I first started, I was scared and anxious to find out what I could do. I didn't loose a match for two years. Then the hardship started. Wrestling is a brutal sport. It has highs and lows as extreme as imaginable. I hope he can make it through them, not only survive, but thrive. I am worried, and afraid for him. I personally know the heart-ache, the frustration, and the pain the sport can bring. I also know the elation, and pride that come even with small victories. It made me the man I am, for better or for worse. I am very thankful for that. I only pray that Parker can have a similar experience.

1 comment:

  1. You are an awesome Uncle! We let Parker read this and he enjoyed it. If he decides he wants to do wrestling for a long time I hope he will be half as good as you with just as much heart!

    ReplyDelete