Sunday, March 28, 2010

Promises we make ourselves

I remember waking up one morning on a dirt road somewhere in the middle of Wyoming. I was sleeping in the cab of my pickup with my feet sticking out the passenger window. My eyes hurt from the dry dust caked in the corners. I couldn't remember much of the night before, nor the week. I sat up and slowly looked around, trying to recognize where I was. No Idea. I forenzically went through the events I could remember and peiced together some notion that I had been in Colorado for a couple days and was headed back to Montana. I took a look at myself in the rear view mirror, I felt like it was the first time I had looked at myself in a long time. I had been lost, not just geographically, but spiritually. The land around me was painted a sandy pink hue from the pre-dawn light. The Sun would be coming up soon, and there was nothing around me but miles of sage and old fences. I truly felt alone in the beautiful sunrise. I noticed a little breeze start to move through the window. I looked at myself once again and spoke out loud, "I'm done with this." I grabbed my boots off of the floorboard and pulled them on one by one. I started the truck and left that peice of myself right there in the desert. I never looked back.

4 comments:

  1. Casey, you have a very old, wise soul. You are a gift. Thank you for sharing your words in such a talented and soothing, thought provoking way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what i dont love is that i have to do that word verification crap every time i comment.

    ReplyDelete