Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hay Runs (part 5)


I got the string moving without a sound. They were all in a quiet rhythm, focused with the work ahead of them. I carried Sheriff's lead rope in my right hand and focused on the trail and my pace. I liked to walk fast, even when I wasn't in a hurry. I wanted the stock to have to keep up with me. It kept them "honest".

The first part of the descent was short and steep, rocky, and easy for me to look back on my string. The grade was steep enough that each mule was a little higher up than the one in front of it, like theater seating. I took a quick examination of the saddles and picked up the pace as we slid down to an easier grade. I knew that there were ground hornets near, so I sped through the area. I made it, and thought the string would come through unscathed when I heard the tell tale "Snap"!!! and a commotion of frantic hooves and earth moving toward me. I hustled down the trail away from the bees, and tied Sheriff to a tree. I walked back to the end of the string where Ruby and Linda stood, wide eyed and a little stirred up. Both of their piggin strips were broken and their lead ropes left dangling at their feet. "I'm sorry girls, it's okay." I rubbed Ruby's muzzle as I backed her up and took the lead rope out from under her hooves. I tied her back into the new piggin made from orange bailing twine, and then did the same to Linda. Linda seemed totally unfazed, which made me smile. She was turning out to be a pretty solid mule, she was still curious and childish, but loved to work. I was thankful that I didn't have big heavy loads on them, and that we didn't have a bad wreck.

I returned to Sheriff and took out a special bottle from my pommel bags. Pennzoil 10-w-30. I walked down the hill just below the trail and slowly made my way back up to where I thought the nest was. I watched carefully with my back to the sun for the remaining hornets buzzing the trail, upset that their home was disturbed. Finally after a short time I spied two tiny fliers moving in counter clockwise circles, through the shadows and the piercing rays of sun that broke through the timber. I watched them until they floated to the ground and went in. It was a small hole, and I had looked for it several times without any luck. I looked around for remaining soldiers and quickly and quietly approached while opening the motor oil. Bottoms up. I filled the hole with oil and walked away. I knew the bees' didn't know any better, but their biting causes wrecks that could get someone hurt or worse. I put the empty bottle back, and continued down the grade.

I hadn't thought about her since I left the top, but she returned to my thoughts and I quickened my pace for home. I had talked to my mother just about a week before, and she had sent me some diamonds. Diamonds from my grandmother's earrings, and four tiny diamond chips that were hers, the first ones my father had ever given her. I bursted with pride thinking about my family. I was going to have a ring made for Lena, stones from my family and a ring of her very own. Thinking about it only made me anxious, and if she were right here, right now I'd of asked her on the spot. I calmed my self down as we moved like a big centipede zig-zagging down the switch backs of the divide. I was ready to ask her, but I knew that moment, like the corral was still a long ways off.

No comments:

Post a Comment