Monday, March 1, 2010

Lonely Hearts

I have a soft spot for certain people. One of them is an older man who lives near me, and I have worked with frequently. He is a skilled carpenter, tile setter, etc. and I have learned a lot from him. He is also lonely. He has made many bad decisions in his life, which have led to him living by himself with no family, near or far, who seem to care about him at all. He has children but no relationship with them, which is very sad and puzzling. I know him as a jolly little fat guy, who is harmless, and always seeking gratification. I know he probably turns into something else when he drinks, which is probably why he is where he is. I feel bad for people who have good hearts, but suck at life. I think loneliness is one of the worst consequenses any human can face for the wrongs they have done others in their lives. I try to include him in my life to some extent, but there is a part of me that puts up a fence at a really personal level and I am not sure why. I think it is because he is one of those people that you have to make an effort for, and I am being too selfish to make that sacrafice. However, I think this is the kind of sacrafice that Christians are asked to make on a daily basis. I have been trying lately to do kind things for others, and ask nothing in return. I feel like that is one of the biggest problems with some people, they will only do things that will benefit them in return. I do not want to be like that. I don't like to be taken advantage of either, but love and genuine kindness is far more rewarding than anything else for me. I am going to try to make more of an effort to reach out to this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment